Nozzle Test Adventures

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by thevoltmaster, Oct 11, 2014.

1. So Ive run some nozzle tests and im wondering if my results are typical. It seems that when heated I can clearly see the nozzle test lines of the Silver cartridge (Picture 1 Bottom), but not of the ascorbic cartridge(Picture 1 Top). The ascorbic cartridge seems much more faint. I tried 2 different ascorbic cartridges and got similar results. I then very carefuly tried a silver cartridge in the ascorbic side and got good lines (Picture 2) this seems to rule out any pogo pin or FFC cable issues, but I'm wondering if the ascorbic lines should print more clearly. Any thoughts?

silver and ascorbic.JPG

silver in ascorbic slot.JPG

Thanks!
  2. Rob

Rob Chief Problem Wrangler Staff Member

Those nozzle test actually look pretty good! You may need some extra heat to fully expose the Ascorbic. I usually run at around 200C (392F), just below the autoignition temperature of paper... You know you're hitting the spot when the paper starts to brown. If the paper is browning and still nothing, try cleaning the nozzles like here.
    Ariel likes this.
  3. I don't understand, what is meant by "extra heat"? What is run at 200C? Is this related to the voltage? From the docs I can only see that the voltage should be close to 9.00V. I've been running it at 8.99V since before I inserted cartridges. I was under the impression that you could burn out nozzles when going higher. Is a higher voltage a higher temperature, or is that completely unrelated?
  4. Rob

Rob Chief Problem Wrangler Staff Member

Sorry for the confusion. We're talking about the temperature required to expose the nozzle test. Our inks are clear until they react with each other. In order to determine if there is a problem with the cartridge, you print a nozzle test with each cartridge separately (only one cartridge installed per test) and then using a heat gun you can "expose" the ink to see individual drops. That's what we can see above with the brown/orange colour. You can find out how to perform a nozzle test here. Hope that helps!