Assembly help thread

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Stumpi, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Hello Cartesian Co!

Two days ago my argentum reached his final destination (Switzerland). I was very impressed when I unpacked everything and I think you did a beautiful job! I think I need a lot more than 2 days to put everything together (I'm a father of a 1 year old daughter, so I don't have much spare time...)

Now I began to assemble the things and I think it is necessary to start here a thread with tips and tricks for the assembly. Although most of the steps in the assembly guide are very well described and easy to follow, there are some difficult steps and I found until now (Step 58 of Motor Shoulder) two little faults:

- In step 42 & 58 in the text you are writing about M3x10 bolts but in the image (and the image with the mechanical box) you are writing about m3x16 bolts. I think the m3x10 is the correct one, could you confirm that.

- In step 26 it is important to tight the motor already in the correct way. Look in step 28 where the wires should be.

- In step 52 some text (I think not so important) is missing

So, I have to go back to work. Again I have to say all the stuff is very impressive (mostly the motherboard that looks awesome). I think others can post their findings and tricks for assembling here too...

Best Regards,

Christoph
  2. Ariel

Ariel Staff Member

I made a noise that sounded more like a pig squealing than I'd like to admit when I read this :) I thought maybe I was the only one who loved the boards.

Starting the thread is a great idea Christoph, I've had a couple of people email me noting some errors in the instructions, and I'll point them towards posting here too so everyone can see until we update them.
  3. Justine

Justine Staff Member

Thanks Christoph! Great to hear from you and you started this thread very articulately. I wondered about starting a thread but didn't know what to say!

My daughter is 2 (and a half, she would say) and I have infinitely less free time now than I did when she was 1. So good luck with that ;)
  4. Hi,

Cartesian Co directed me here to post my errata. I'm a backer and have completed all steps that are in version 0.4 of the assembly instructions. There are a lot of issues I've reported to them, some of them resulting in a lot of backtracking and reversing a few steps, so it's a good idea to check my list first.

I've got the first version of the lasered panels, so some issues might only be relevant for this one (especially the incorrectly located parts).

Here is the list of things relevant to people assembling the printer (the rest is just typos and similar stuff):

General: The nyloc nuts I received have a white plastic part, not blue.

p19/step 44: labelled side, not un-labelled (picture is correct)
    p32/step 18: the layout on the lasered panel is different
    p36/step 34: same issue as step 18
    p50/step 17: missing a note that you should tighten the screws
    p63/step 69: DANGER: CA-22 is VERY fragile! Handle it like a newborn baby.
    p75/step 40: a screw is shown that is added later in step 42
    p82/step 13: the part indicated is CC-09, CC-05 is on the left side
    p88/step 11: DANGER: You're supposed to use the limit switch with the untwisted cable here! Using the wrong one here will result in a lot of trouble much later on.
    p91/step 24: IN-05 instead of IN-03
    p96/step 2: MF-04 instead of MF-01 — The image is correct, the text is not!
    p97/step 7: MF-01 instead of MF-04 (see above)
    p101/step 24: bolt doesn’t fit next to the SD card header. I had to cut parts off of the pin header using a knife.
    p106/step 42: MF-16 should be MF-17
    p116/step 29: It's never specified in what direction the fan cables should exit. It doesn't really matter, but it should be facing in the direction of the longer screws, otherwise it's hard to fit them when attaching this part to the main frame.
    p116/step 30: M3x15mm should be M3x35mm
    p124/step 62: NO WAY this part can fit on the limit switch side. I had to remove the YM-09 and YM-12 assembly to get it in there.
    p125/step 66: same issue with the M3x15 bolts as in step 30
  5. Ariel

Ariel Staff Member

Thanks anlumo, we'll have another version of the instructions out soon to reflect your findings.
  6. hi..I've been received my printer, and assembled.
    but when I try it. The Y-AXIS direction is reverse.
    How can I resolve it.
  7. Johns

Johns Staff Member

Hi Hata. There's actually a calibration function built into the Argentums firmware that is used to set the direction of the stepper motors. You can run it by sending the character "c" using the ARC software. Just enter c into the command box while your Argentum is connected and hit Send; the carrage will move around to all 4 corners figuring out where it's limits are and which direction it should move its steppers in.

Are you working through the your first print page in our wiki? Calibration is actually something I forgot to include there so thanks for letting me know! It's possible that the firmware that shipped with your printer might not remember its calibration after being reset/power cycled. Resetting happens every time you connect/disconnect through the software. If your y-axis reverts to it's original direction after calibrating and resetting let me know and i'll walk you through updating your Argentums firmware.
  8. Thanks for reply.. I miss this article..
    And I'm done.
    It's awesome
    ledcir.jpg
  9. I originally installed my X-MIN and X-MAX cables backwards, which caused the printer to think that the X direction was backwards. After correcting the cables and recalibrating, then things were good.
  10. Ariel

Ariel Staff Member

Cool. When we wrote the calibration sequence in ARC we had to assume that either the motors were going in the correct direction, or the end stops were installed correctly. The problem with stepper motors is that if you plug them in backwards, or swap the polarity of one of the pairs of wires, or swap the pairs of wires, it will reverse the direction. That's obviously a lot of permutations of things that can do that. So we decided the end stops absolutely have to be in the correct locations.

We'll have to come up with a way to make it clear which end stop is which in future batches so others don't have this problem. Thanks for the feedback.

Let us know when you finish your first print!
  11. Johns

Johns Staff Member

Hi Hata.

Congrats!!! As far as i'm aware you're the first person to get your printer working. Now for the next step, cartridge alignment! You can see a brown outline around your circuit. This non-conductive stain is caused by the two cartridges not printing in exactly the same spot. Aligning your cartridges will mean you can print finer traces.

I've been meaning to write an alignment tutorial for a while now but it's 1:30 in the morning here so I might not be able to get to it till tomorrow. Is you're super keen to try it out before then its relatively simple. You can change the alignment in Utilities > Processing Options. All you do is print a small image (I'll include the one I use in this post but feel free to create your own) while varying "Vertical Offset" and "Horizontal Offset". This value is written into the print file stored on your SD card so you'll need to re-process your image each time. Try increasing and decreasing these variables (Vertical Offset can go negative) and re-processing looking each time to see how much stain is present. Since it's fairly aligned already I would change each variable by 1 per print. When your printer is aligned you should see minimal staining.

Now that you've finished a print you should post a picture of your printer and print in the Printers in the Wild section along with it's name!
  12. Johns

Johns Staff Member

Sorry, forgot to include the picture. Here it is:

Attached Files:

13. ok..I'll try it tomorrow..
    Very thanks your guide..
  14. Another tip when putting the belts on.

When you do step 54 of the gantry assembly, make sure that when you put the head in the position needed for step 55, that the grub screws are actually accessible.
    Once you've tuned the tension in step 54, you may find (as I did) that the grub screws are totally inaccessible when you move the gantry as needed in step 55.
    It's pretty easy to change the position of the grub screws if you the belt is still loose, but impossible once its tight.

I had some 3/4" delrin rounds and if I moved the gantry to the back of the printer and put my 3/4" rounds between the back of the printer and the rails then my grub screws were accessible.
  15. Hi..I suddenly know I havn't receive the MacGyver Kit today.
    I have open all my receive box. And around my desk.
    And I don't think I have get the kit.
    But I don't know what the problem.
    can you help me to check did you put the kit in my package, Or not.
    I'll send the mail to the DHL ask them.
  16. Johns

Johns Staff Member

Hi Hata, I'll look into this for you now.

Also i've now finished a tutorial on how to align your printheads. You can find it here. It will help to head this page first though.
  17. Working through assembly I noticed that the print head is quit a distance from the substrate. Approximately how far away should the print head be from the substrate?
  18. I noticed that the troubleshooting wiki mentions rubber bands in relation to the roller assembly. I couldn't find any references to rubber bands in the assembly instructions and there are some left in my mechanical kit.
  19. When trying to put the top part (TO-13) on (part of Outer Shell assembly) I found I had to loosen off the bolts on TO-4 (see step 22 of the Gantry Assembly). This is the part that hold the linear rail in. I had tightened it up enough that the tabs didn't line up with the top.
  20. I ran out of M3x10 bolts (I was 4 short) so I wound up cutting down 4 of the M3x16's. My personal collection of M3 bolts only has M3x8 (too short) and M3x12 (too long).
    My kit also only came with all round stickers, no square ones.

But all-in-all I'm fairly impressed. Now to do the alignment, and then try a real circuit board.